Tuesday, March 4, 2008

La Campagna-Morristown, NJ

I met my parents for dinner at an Italian restaurant in Morristown, NJ called La Campagna. It was very nice, a few notches above casual. Prices were high and portions were small, but they tried very hard on quality. I don't think it came through quite enough though.
The bread was delicious, two types of focaccia and then a rustic, hearth baked one that stole the show. Big air bubbles and a crispy crust left no doubt that it was made either at the restaurant or by a local baker who knew what he was doing.
We ordered two appetizers for the three of us and the waiter brought out a small antipasto of Parimiggiano Reggiano, thinly sliced fried zucchini, and bruschetta. The fried zucchini were think little coins, thinner than potato chips. Very lightly breaded and fried to a crisp. They would make a great garnish on anything and were delicious.
Other appetizers were grilled shrimp and asparagus over a baked polenta and a portobello mushroom cap, marinated in something tangy with a nut crush. The shrimp were cooked perfectly, lightly charred, crunchy, and sweet. The polenta was not seasoned much and it allowed the flavor of the cornmeal to come through. Great texture. I need to try making some polenta. The mushroom was very tiny and the two bites of it were nice, but when I think of a portobello I want something substanial.
Three entrees were a cappellini with seafood (lobster, crab, scallops) chicken scarpiello, and my dish, a grilled chicken over warm spinach salad with gorgonzola, shitake mushrooms, and sundried tomatoes. Mine came out a bit odd. I don't care for gorgonzola much and I though it would be crumbled on and I could take it off. Instead, the whole dish was dressed in this gorgonzola and balsamic puree. All in all the dressing did not add anything because the gorgonzola and acidy was overpowering to the more delicate spinach and shitakes. All I tasted was gorgonzola and vinegar. THe seafood dish was the best. Generous lobster claws and tails, a spicy marinara sauce, and perfectly cooked, al dente capellini. I'd stick with the pasta anyday.
I had an espresso to finish out the meal and my dad had a giant slab of ricotta cheesecake. He said it was some of the best he ever had.
I would have preferred a more rustic place, but at least they tried. My dish was by far the worst. For the price, I would not go back.

No comments: